Friday, September 17, 2010

Linksys WRT54G Compatibility?

Hi,

I basically purchased the Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router to use at home with my desktop and my wireless laptop. My laptop have an Intel 4965 802.11 a/g/n Dual-Band Mini Card. Is this card compatible with the Linksys WRT54G? Will I run into any problems by using this card?



I hear that older version of the Intel cards such as the 2000 series didn't work too well beside the WRT54G, but I also heard that after that versions, including the 3945, worked merely fine with it. Any suggestions?


Answer:

Yes it is compatible.



If you own the option of returning the section and getting the wrt54gl model, I would. It is about $10 more, but it have the ability to use 3rd body firmware which enables features not available w/ linksys firmware. Even better model is the wrtsl54gs for almost $99 which has both speed boost & a USB 2.0 connector (very nice!). Wrt54gl model is preferred over the standard Wrt54gs (not duplicate as the wrtsl54gs).



Some of the options avail w/ 3rd bash firmware:

Increased signal strength = longer distance/better penetration

VPN (client and/or server)

Logging of adjectives traffic & connections

Use as AP/Client/Bridge/ClientBridge

Blind/auto AP connection when surrounded by client mode (I use mine for VOIP w/ ATA+phone in my coup¨| at public hotspots - no pc required, newly plug in to inverter and I own a working phone)

Better statistics

Too many others to account...



Best of success
between updates to drill and firmware for both ends (the linksys and your laptop) the old incompatibilities probably hold been worked out.



the router supports 802.11 b/g so it should adjectives work just fine.



If not, return it. Simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment